/general/ | /photos/ | /projects/

- [Home] [Catalog] [Search] [Thread List] [Manage]

Leave these fields empty (spam trap):
Link
Subject [
Comment
File [
Verification
Password (for post and file deletion)
  • Supported file types are: GIF, JPG, PNG
  • Maximum file size allowed is 12000 KB.
  • Images greater than 200x200 pixels will be thumbnailed.

File: Love_Hina_vol12_156[BYAAAH].jpg -(269.7 KB, 802x1200) Thumbnail displayed, click image for full size.
276175 No.8273   [Reply]
>>24979

Evolution can occur via the old method of natural selection. However, with human technology we can purposefully alter our DNA.

The only problem is that we people are uncomfortable with altering our own DNA to improve our chances for survival.

This is getting tangential, but this is why I think this is true. All animals wish to guarantee the survival and passing down of their own DNA. Their own. If we humans change our DNA to be more successful, then the organism whose chances of survival has improved is the altered-human, not normal-humans. We're creating a competitor who is more powerful than us! And thats bad!

I believe that humans will continue to work towards that biological goal of 'increasing chances of survival and passing down genes' by altering things that are NOT their DNA, until we get over ourselves with that issue. Things like enhanced technology, getting better at exercise, learning more, and others.

As a species, we are afraid of introducing a genetically-different variety of human that will outcompete us. It might be why we see genetic manipulation as 'inherentally unethical'. I know that I would be positively afraid if a superior human variety would outcompete me and my children.
Comment too long. Click here to view the full text.
2 posts and 1 images omitted. Click Reply to view.
>> No.8278  
File: 379efd842e924ee7e9cba7f96f600b25.jpg -(111.8 KB, 575x800) Thumbnail displayed, click image for full size.
114496
Yes, they already genetically modify plants. Many people are still afraid of genetical modification of plants, though.

Yes, people breed animals. But that is a completely different thing than genetically modifying them. Genetical modification in animals is still widely seen as unethical.

Therefore, your argument is still incorrect, because genetical modification of animals is considered unethical even if there's no risk or fear of creating a superior species that way.

Therefore, your argument is invalid, and both of your posts here are futile.

/thread
>> No.8292  
>>8278
Selective breeding, especially for traits solely useful to humans, is a form of genetic alteration.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Artificial_selection

People are afraid of genetic manipulation of plants and animals and humans, but more are afraid of, or people are more afraid of, genetically modifying humans, despite good reasons to do so. The evidence: people utilise genetically modified animals and plants worldwide, but not genetically modified humans.
>> No.8305  
I think people are afraid of genetic alternation of food plants because it ruins genetic variety (at least the way it's done right now) thus increasing the risk of infestation by pests.

Or that's just me.
>> No.8312  
>>8305
Thats the same as a number of people, but your average person isn't going to care about that. They're more likely to be scared simply because its alien. Altering humans is even more alien.
>> No.8675  
>Therefore, your argument is invalid, and both of your posts here are futile.
I disagree.

If you want to talk about futily, I think your efforts to prematurely end discussion on a discussion board simply because you disagree demonstrate futility at its finest.

Just because you can't wrap your head around OP's concept doesn't mean no one else wants to discuss it.


No.8221   [Reply]
I feel a bit embarrassed to be asking this, but all the usual sites are turning up nothing. Does anyone know where I can download some of the earlier seasons of Pokemon? I've been feeling nostalgic recently and want to rewatch it, but TT and Perfect Dark only have the newest episodes. BakaBT has all the season, but they are unfortunately dubbed.
12 posts and 1 images omitted. Click Reply to view.
>> No.8295  
>>8294
Ouch. I know it's the obvious answer, but have you thought about upgrading? An extra gig of RAM and a slightly newer processor would improve your machine by quite a large margin.
>> No.8296  
>>8295
I'd simply build a new one from scratch, but only after I'd actually earned some money. Digging into financial reserves just for entertainment isn't so cool.

By the way, I'm now watching the first episode out of the torrent; it seems I can play it fine, the out-of-synchness is either only for short moments, or I'm imagining it.
Thanks to the anon who provided it!
>> No.8297  
>>8296
Oh, and sorry for complaining in the first place.
>> No.8298  
File: 1255966159005.jpg -(124.9 KB, 570x800) Thumbnail displayed, click image for full size.
127894
>>8296
No worries.

>>8297
You lost me.
>> No.8302  
Oh wow, I don't know how your machine has trouble with that. My terrible old laptop (bless her heart) doesn't have any trouble playing high quality animu, with half the ram and two thirds the processor power.


File: 1253472568616.jpg -(2766.8 KB, 3350x3350) Thumbnail displayed, click image for full size.
2833170 No.8289   [Reply]
Warning: Contains spoilers
>> No.8290  
File: e5ad592906157e2aabd84547402870c41.jpg -(24.4 KB, 711x400) Thumbnail displayed, click image for full size.
24984
I'm actually surprised to see Azula there, even if she does deserve the place.

However, it's still missing someone.
>> No.8291  
File: e3350c02e5c0bf866a652afd5f7431c1.jpg -(1038.5 KB, 3064x2136) Thumbnail displayed, click image for full size.
1063375
>>8290
And someone.


File: healthcare1.png -(97.2 KB, 619x1600) Thumbnail displayed, click image for full size.
99512 No.8268   [Reply]
So American NEETs... Looks like you're gonna have to get jobs now!
>> No.8269  
File: healthcare2.png -(149.2 KB, 624x2100) Thumbnail displayed, click image for full size.
152810
tldr version: Buy healthcare or go to jail.
>> No.8276  
While I hate to do this.

>Implying this won't get shot down the moment it's brought up to the supreme court.
>> No.8287  
Source: gop.com


No.8218   [Reply]
Characteristics of people with antisocial personality disorder may include:

* Persistent lying or stealing
* Superficial charm
* Apparent lack of remorse or empathy; inability to care about hurting others
* Inability to keep jobs or stay in school
* Impulsivity and/or recklessness
* Lack of realistic, long-term goals — an inability or persistent failure to develop and execute long-term plans and goals
* Inability to make or keep friends, or maintain relationships such as marriage
* Poor behavioral controls — expressions of irritability, annoyance, impatience, threats, aggression, and verbal abuse; inadequate control of anger and temper
* Narcissism, elevated self-appraisal or a sense of extreme entitlement
* A persistent agitated or depressed feeling (dysphoria)
* A history of childhood conduct disorder
* Recurring difficulties with the law
Comment too long. Click here to view the full text.
4 posts omitted. Click Reply to view.
>> No.8227  
Just taking a list of some disorder and checking solely based on a seemingly random number of items doesn't mean anything.
Any human meets the criteria for at least one kind of disorder, but that doesn't mean that every single human is actually a psychosocial wreck.
>> No.8229  
>Inability to keep jobs or stay in school

NEET = Not in Education, Employment or Training.

...
>> No.8264  
I'm retired, does this make me a NEET sociopath?
>> No.8275  
>>8264
Freak.
>> No.8282  
Social anxiety disorder /= antisocial personality disorder.


File: untitled.JPG -(8.1 KB, 543x275) Thumbnail displayed, click image for full size.
8325 No.8251   [Reply]
What does this mean
>> No.8256  
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cardinality_of_the_continuum#Sets_with_cardinality%20_c
>> No.8280  
f: from the real number set to the real number set


File: -(39.8 KB, 902x689) Thumbnail displayed, click image for full size.
40717 No.1   [Reply]
5 posts and 5 images omitted. Click Reply to view.
>> No.8105  
File: asdasd.png -(3.7 KB, 476x71) Thumbnail displayed, click image for full size.
3837
>>8046
>> No.8192  
File: DSC02376.jpg -(193.4 KB, 528x628) Thumbnail displayed, click image for full size.
198090
>> No.37060  
File: walk_front.gif -(489.3 KB, 400x320) Thumbnail displayed, click image for full size.
501002
>> No.37434  
File: 57c60b5f7eeb02118e2470cc4564f4db.gif -(416.1 KB, 512x384) Thumbnail displayed, click image for full size.
426114
>> No.48392  
File: Funk using computer.jpg -(397.9 KB, 470x314) Thumbnail displayed, click image for full size.
407410


No.8214   [Reply]
Anyone else have real trouble writing essays? It's like I'm completely incapable of moving on to the next sentence before my previous one is perfect, so if I get stuck it can be a several day project to try and finish.
>> No.8215  
I'm the same way! Everything has to be a perfectly linear progression or it won't flow. If I were to second-guess myself, I wouldn't ever get anywhere.

I'm not so much of a perfectionist that I'll spend days on a single line, though, so I usually just type what comes to mind until it stops coming to mind and have faith in my ability to shit gold.
>> No.8216  
Writing them in plain text editors like Q10 or Notepad usually help me. There's no spell check or formatting issues to distract you, so your writing goes smoother. Also, it helps to use placeholders; if you can't think of anything, leave a small summary or note of what you plan to write and move on. Eliminating distractions by going full-screen and disconnecting your Internet helps sometimes too.


File: cda1ffc241a1f0bbcb814c274796f078755cd0fa.jpg -(99.3 KB, 481x700) Thumbnail displayed, click image for full size.
101733 No.8184   [Reply]
Do you remember drinking breast milk as a child? Do you remember how it tastes? Do you know if there is a place to order it online?
4 posts omitted. Click Reply to view.
>> No.8193  
I remember drinking some of my sister's breast milk when she had a baby. It was kind of sweet.
>> No.8194  
>>8193
Direct from the source or did you steal a bit from a bottle in the fridge?
>> No.8195  
>>8194
From a bottle in the fridge, of course. She let me drink it.
>> No.8196  
>>8195
that is immensely erotic
>> No.13096  
File: 1287888164.75398406.jpg -(916.3 KB, 1920x1080) Thumbnail displayed, click image for full size.
938328
>>8196


No.8167   [Reply]
Just a question, what do you americans use as a first-year calculus textbook? How about for linear algebra?
>> No.8176  
Cmon someone help me out here
>> No.8178  
It varies wildly based on professor.
>> No.8179  
MATH 231 [31] Calculus of Functions of One Variable I (3). Prerequisite, a grade of C- or higher in MATH 130 [30] or placement by the department. Limits, derivatives, and integrals of functions of one variable.

Spring 2010 @ UNC / Math 231 001 Calculus Early Trascendentals Text + Enhanced Webassign $158.00 (ISBN: 9781111086701)

MATH 110 [10] Algebra (3). Prerequisite, placement by achievement test. Provides one semester review of the basics of algebra. Basic algebraic expressions, functions, exponents, and logarithms are included with an emphasis on problem solving. The course should not be taken by those with a suitable score on the achievement test.

Spring 2010 @ UNC / Math 110 001 Math 110 Custom Publication Corrected Printing $57.86 (ISBN: 9780757538070) / My Math Coach: College Algebra $82.14 (ISBN: 9780757547065).

I only listed the required texts and not the optional ones. If those aren't the courses you are looking for, check here: http://summer.unc.edu/courseofferings/document.2005-12-12.8260941258/

Comment too long. Click here to view the full text.
>> No.8180  
>>8179
Ah, I forgot the first bit of my comment when I was formatting. >>8178 is right. It's the professor that chooses that text used so it's highly dependent on them.
>> No.8181  
I used Stewart's Early Transcendentals text for Calc 1, 2, 3, and I'm using Lay's Linear Algebra and Its Applications for linear algebra this semester.
Stewart's book was good, very helpful in Calc 2 (the hardest math course I have yet to take). Lay's book doesn't really impress me, but it's not like I really have to even read it beyond doing a few exercises since linear algebra is the easiest math course since algebraic structures.

I find that having the solutions manual is very helpful for textbooks in general, just as an aside.
Really, if your teacher is any good, all you'll be using the text for is a quick reference and a bank of practice problems.


Delete Post []
Password
[0] [1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [12] [13] [14] [15] [16] [17] [18] [19] [20] [21] [22] [23] [24] [25] [26] [27] [28] [29] [30] [31] [32] [33] [34] [35] [36] [37] [38] [39] [40] [41] [42] [43] [44] [45] [46] [47] [48] [49] [50] [51] [52] [53] [54] [55] [56] [57] [58] [59] [60] [61] [62] [63] [64] [65] [66] [67] [68] [69] [70] [71] [72] [73] [74] [75] [76] [77] [78] [79] [80] [81] [82] [83] [84] [85]